Sanya Richards-Ross Biography
Sanya Richards-Ross is a retired Jamaican-American track and field athlete and reality tv star. She is one of the most successful female sprinters in the history of track and field, with numerous accolades to her name. She began her athletic career at a young age as a sprinter. At the age of 12, she joined St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where she continued to excel in track and field. Sanya went on to attend the University of Texas at Austin, where she became a standout athlete and won multiple NCAA championships.
In 2004, Richards-Ross made her Olympic debut at the Athens Olympics, where she won a gold medal as part of the US 4x400m relay team. She also competed in the individual 400m race, finishing fifth. Four years later, at the Beijing Olympics, she won a bronze medal in the individual 400m race and another gold medal in the 4x400m relay. At the 2012 London Olympics, Richards-Ross won a gold medal in the 400m race with a time of 49.55 seconds.
She also helped lead the US 4x400m relay team to another gold medal. She retired in 2016. Richards-Ross has worked as a television commentator and analyst for NBC Sports, covering track and field events. In addition, she is a motivational speaker and author, having written the book “Chasing Grace: What the Quarter Mile Has Taught Me About God and Life”.
Sanya Richards-Ross Age
Sanya was born on February 26, 1985, in Kingston, Jamaica. She moved to the United States at the age of 12. She is 38 years old as of 2023.
Sanya Richards-Ross Height
Sanya stands at the height of 5 feet 8 inches (1.73 meters) and weighs 62 Kg (137 lbs). She has black hair and brown eyes. Further details about her body measurements will be updated.
Sanya Richards-Ross Family
Richards was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica. Her parents are Archie and Sharon Richards. At the age of 12, her family immigrated to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She attended St. Thomas Aquinas High School where she graduated in 2002 finishing with a cumulative 4.0 GPA. She joined the University of Texas, Austin, and graduated in 2005 with a degree in business. She was part of the women’s track and field team.
Sanya Richards-Ross Husband
Richards is happily married to her husband Aaron Ross. The couple met while she was attending the University of Texas. Ross was playing for the Longhorn football club as a cornerback. He later joined New York Giants in the NFL. They got engaged in 2007 and got married in 2010. Their wedding was presented on an episode of Platinum Weddings. The couple has one child together; Aaron Jermaine Ross II born in 2017.
Sanya Richards-Ross Disease
During her career, Richards suffered from severe onset of mouth ulcers, joint aches, and full-body skin lesions. This went on for five years. In 2007, her doctors thought her symptoms were caused by a rare, chronic disease involving the inflammation of blood vessels called Behçet’s disease.
Sanya Richards-Ross RHOA
Richards joined the fourteenth season of Bravo’s reality tv show The Real Housewives of Atlanta in 2021. She was added to the show as a housewife. She will be returning to the fifteenth season of the show which premieres on May 7, 2023.
Sanya Richards-Ross Career
Sanya Richards-Ross had an incredibly successful career as a track and field athlete, winning numerous medals and setting records throughout her time in the sport. Here are some of the highlights of her career:
- 2002: Richards-Ross won her first national title in the 400m at the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
- 2003: She won her first world championship medal, a bronze in the 4x400m relay.
- 2004: Richards-Ross won her first Olympic gold medal as a member of the US 4x400m relay team in Athens, Greece. She also competed in the individual 400m race, finishing fifth.
- 2005: She won her first individual gold medal at the World Championships in Helsinki, Finland, in the 400m race. She also won gold in the 4x400m relay.
- 2006-2009: Richards-Ross continued to dominate in the 400m, winning four consecutive US national titles and setting the American record in the event.
- 2008: At the Beijing Olympics, Richards-Ross won a bronze medal in the individual 400m race and a gold medal in the 4x400m relay.
- 2009-2012: She won three more world championship gold medals in the 400m, as well as another gold medal in the 4x400m relay in 2011.
- 2012: Richards-Ross won her first Olympic gold medal in an individual event, setting a personal best time of 49.55 seconds in the 400m race at the London Olympics. She also helped lead the US 4x400m relay team to another gold medal.
- 2016: After struggling with injuries in the years leading up to the Rio Olympics, Richards-Ross announced her retirement from competitive athletics.
Sanya Richards-Ross Medals
Over the course of her career, Richards-Ross won five Olympic medals (four gold, one bronze) and nine world championship medals (seven gold, one silver, one bronze). She remains one of the most successful female sprinters in history.
Sanya Richards-Ross Net Worth
Richards has an estimated net worth of $2 million as of 2023.